[Coco] Nitros Partitioning Was: CoCo SDC and others

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 16:12:13 EST 2017

Gene, Bill.  thanks!  I remember the build process being unintelligible,
but I think there's been a bunch of work recently to address this.  So I'll
aim for fixing the .d files associates with the cocofpga build...

Btw: I guess the practical problem I am trying to solve is as of now is
fpga users can easily boot nitros, or decb from the sd card, but not BOTH,
without reflashing their externel ROM.  :(

Now: do I have to worry about any source .def, .d, templates that go onto
the target fs for self hosting nitros building?
On Wednesday 08 March 2017 13:01:21 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Brett, pre-setting descriptor values is no big deal, a little
> confusing due to the fact that the superdesc builds for 5 different
> systems/types, but still not hard. In fact, the current Coco3FPGA SD
> descriptors have offsets set for /sd1, /sd2, & /sd3. That should give
> you and idea of how to set them. Also, a lot of these types of
> variables are set in the defines in the makefiles, and not in the desc
> source.
>
> What really needs to be done is a "coco3fpga.d" defs file created
> specifically for the Coco3FPGA, then we could create variable tables
> for the SD card in a central location instead of hard coding them into
> the sources. This is going to be needed eventually anyway as we add
> support for all the Coco3FPGA features like: WiFi, 640x450 256 color
> graphics, 106x56 text, 16-bit sound etc, etc.
>
> The Coco43FPGA port is a separate build from other level2 ports just
> for that reason, as we evebtually move away from the standard drivers
> and forward to the capabilities of the machine.

I am for this 100%. The new defs file could handle all that dirty work.
Since you are more familiar with it, I never managed to see the sdc card
I have, probably because I had it in the wrong mpi slot. Someday, when
my hard drives are about ~30~ I'll have to get up some enthusiasm to
make it work. I'll have to admit it is not near the top of my todo list
atm.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)