[Coco] Nitros Partitioning Was: CoCo SDC and others

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 12:24:09 EST 2017

Brett, I think I get where you are coming from. You want a way ANY OS (not just Nitros9) can ID what partitions are present on a drive... I.E. YaDos can know where OS9 partitions start and end or where RSDOS partitions start and end.
To me, changing LSN0 would be disasterous. Too many utilities and system modules would need to be rewritten, many of which no sources exist to make changes easy. But as Gene said, there is space not being used in LSN0, so why not an ID byte (denoting the OS of current partition), and an offset to the next partition?
OS9 would rely on it's descriptor info to get to the proper partitions and RSDOS/YaDOS could step through the offsets until the ID is found, then store the offset value.

Also, I think others are getting confused thinking this is referring to NitrOS9 itself, and on all systems, when it is mainly referring to the SD card access on the Coco3FPGA (though it could apply to other systems if implemented right).

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com