[Coco] BIGGEST PROBLEM

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Mar 6 20:26:57 EST 2017

Le 2017-03-06 à 15:23:00, David Ladd a écrit :

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:03 PM, John Guin <johnguin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can USB slow down to 9600 baud?  I know on the Arduino for the serial
>> monitor (and serial connections in general) you set the speed to 9600 to
>> 115K or so.
>
> ​I believe the USB speeds are, (USB 1.1)12Mbit, (USB 2.0)480Mbit, (USB
> 3.0)5Gbit, & (USB 3.1)10Gbit.​

USB 1.1 has two speeds : normal speed at 12 Mbps, and low speed at 1.5 Mbps,
which is one eighth of the normal speed, but is still as much as 13 times the
115200 bps speed. To process the max throughput of low speed, the CPU would
still need to be able to process a whopping 183 kilobytes per second. I don't
know about the abilities to further reduce the speed by other means (flow
control, bitrate negociation). However, very low throughput devices (keyboards
and mice) wouldn't need those tricks, as they would use much less than that (the
USB clock would still run at 666 ns, it's just that the data queue wouldn't be
very busy).