[Coco] BIGGEST PROBLEM

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Mon Mar 6 13:16:23 EST 2017

On 3/6/2017 10:03 AM, camillus gmail wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering, if a single 6809 or 6309 can handle USB protocol. If this could be done then a second cpu would be easy to imply in the exsisting coco's., and act as a dedicated USB controller ( does not have to be a 6809 but like to stay in the era )
>
> There are cpu/controllers with build in USB support.
>

> - for the keyboard, this cpu can halt the main cpu to put characters that ist get from the usb board, directly in the characterbuffers of BASIC.
>
> - for mouse/ joystick I think something similar can be done.
>

> I don't know I'm just a thinker...LOL
> But it would be not the first time someone made a big invention from someone else s idea's  ...lol
>

> CB

I don't know that a 6309 can (for the performance reasons folks note in
other places), but there is a period-like device that has been blessed
with USB support:  the 8051.  You can do a search and there are a host
of 8051 variants that have built in USB.  Not sure about HOST or OTG
support, but I have to assume they have it.

I know everyone on here is probably biased against Intel, but the 8051
line (which is no longer produced by Intel, as far as I know, but it is
their architecture) has led a very active life. Atmel and others make
8051 variants and lots of stuff runs 8051 code.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com