[Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:11:38 EST 2017

From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of Allen Huffman [alsplace at pobox.com]
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 9:41 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 8:35 AM, Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:
>
> It's a much neater, more professional, more reliable way of powering the Pi in an embedded situation.  I wish that they had designed it with a header for the audio, video, usb, and ethernet signals too.

Someone even sells a rechargeable battery shield (I forget what Pi calls them), so I bet it's powering it the same way. I had assumed it had a cable running off to the USB port.

One would hope if they went to the trouble to make a shield they
included the necessary circuitry to protect the Pi and didn't just put
batteries on a board.  it's all about engineering. The power connector
was engineered to take power in for the Pi, the pins on the GPIO were
not.  With four lag bolts I can bolt a trailer hitch on the bumper of my
wife's CRV. But I sure wouldn't want to try towing my 28' camper with
it.

bill