[Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Mar 6 07:09:51 EST 2017

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 20:22:37 -0500
From: Barry Nelson <barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com>

My project below is a HDMI adapter for the CoCo 3:

https://hackaday.io/project/7366-coco-3-rgb-to-scart-to-hdmi-cable <https://hackaday.io/project/7366-coco-3-rgb-to-scart-to-hdmi-cable>

It is a cable which leverages a modern, inexpensive, mass produced SCART -> HDMI converter.

For MIDI I use DriveWire, which lets me connect and use a modern systems sound card/midi.

For Hard drive I use a CoCo SDC which uses modern SD card storage as both CoCo floppies and hard disk storage.

For printing, again I use DriveWire, which enables me to print to any modern printer. There is support for this both for NitrOS9 and Extended Color BASIC.
Now if Allen can get that CoCoPilot going, that might be a good solution at least for the printer (though I'd like to see something that simply works without added ROM for DECB). Something that does a transparent interface would be nice though. The RPi is small enough it could interface through the cartridge port and do a lot more, but would then need modified ROM code to work. A pity the video can't be sent over the cartridge port (not just text output, I know that can be done), then the RPi could handle that as well. What about programming something like the RPi to take CoCo RGB (and/or composite) video in and send it out over it's own built-in HDMI??? Use the GPIO buss on the RPi for input...
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548