[Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Mar 5 22:58:52 EST 2017

On 3/5/2017 9:48 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:

> Actually, HDMI is pretty easy. Just leverage a commercial and very cheap ($50 or less) SCART to HDMI adapter and my SCART cable.
I think you misunderstand my response.  Joe was lamenting that folks are
designing new HW but not using new interface standards in those designs,
preferring to leverage older standards and relying on people to buy
adapters (like you mentioned above).  I was commenting that they do so
because those standards are easy to implement directly, simpler to get
working, and then once they are working, the hobbyist would rather use
an adapter (like you mention) to get to the newer standard, rather than
go to all of the trouble to implement the newer standard directly.

For what it is worth, I agree, moving from RGB to HDMI is easy in the
way you describe.  IDE to SATA is also easy via adapter, as is IDE to SD
and MIDI to USB.  Joe would prefer we not need to buy an adapter, cheap
or not.

As Allen notes, firms have designed a USB interface that is cheap and
can allow native USB support to be added to a design, and perhaps they
will do the same for HDMI and MIDI and HDMI.  But, as of now, I know of
no devices.

And, I wish Allen well in his efforts.  I've known about the $4.00 USB
thing for years (have one sitting here in my dev box), but I have shied
away from adding USB host support to product designs because I truly
fear the support emails I would receive.  I would not wish that on anyone.

Jim