[Coco] CoCo SDC weirdness

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:34:36 EST 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Tim Fadden <t.fadden at cox.net> wrote:

> ​<cut>

​ ​
> Normally I boot from floppy with the hard disk as my /dd.
> so, as a test, I made a disk image of the same floppy, and booted it off
> of the SDC image.
> That worked except that a dir /d0 looked at /sd0 instead.
> After I unmount that image, and mount a different one /d0 and /sd0 work
> properly.

​That is strange doing that got it to work correctly.​

> Ya I know I could just have everything on the SDC. but I have  15 or so
> scsi disks, and I like making the original hardware work.
>
> Any how it appears no one else is using hard disks for os9 only from the
> what I have received back.

​Well for me I am still using my SuperIDE.  I started with a B&B MFM drive,
but that drive has been dead for years so I moved to something more current.

I do use my J&M FDC, CoCoSDC, & SuperIDE all together, but in my J&M I have
a copy of the HDBDOS installed in one of the ROM sockets for the SuperIDE
and in the other slot a copy of SDC-DOS.

Though I have been use to some of the ROM & FDC limitations for years in
relations of slots on the MPI so was always easiest for me to just put the
ROM's I needed to use into the FDC as I used them almost as much as the
HDD.  Reason for that is at the time I used some of the programs that
wouldn't work with the HDD interfaces under Disk Basic.

Though to solve some of the FDC driver issues, maybe, it might be time to
update the drivers with a way to tell them which slot the FDC is in?  I
know a auto detect routine wouldn't be feasible, but maybe some un-used
bits that could be set in the /dx with dmode????

> I know it is kinda confoluted and hard do explain in via email.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!  They are appreciated.

​<cut>​

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |