[Coco] Fwd: Re: WordPak Clone

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jun 30 21:21:33 EDT 2017

On Friday 30 June 2017 20:46:16 Bruce W. Calkins wrote:

> It appears the CMOS 6345 is comparable with the MOS 6845 with lower
> power requirements.  One does wonder if Hitachi hid some added
> features like the 6309 vs. the 6809.
>
> Bruce W.

I wouldn't be anything but pleasantly surprised if it could somehow
handle a larger ram than the 2k thats in the original.  That was its
bottleneck. My driver added another line of text, but there wasn't room
enough for 2 additional lines.

> On 06/30/2017 10:57 AM, CoCo Demus wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just got an original (unobtainable) Word Pak RS from Gene
> > Heskett (thanks Gene). I will first make it to work as it seems it's
> > not direct compatible with WordPak 1 & 2.

The base address may not be the same.  The other one I have has had its
address changed at least twice, mainly because while it only needed a 4
byte wide block, the 4 bytes they chose tied up 2 of those blocks, using
two byte from one block of 4, and 2 bytes from an adjoining block of 4.
Fixing the address also needed the code reassembled to move the address
the code wrote to. There was extended muttering in the coyote.den when
that came to light. Genealogy was discussed, at length. :(

> > Then I will make a clone of it. But this will happen in August as
> > I'm taking a vacation trip now.
> >
> > I'll let you know,
> >
> > Felipe

Cheers, Gene Heskett