[Coco] MysticBBS

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jun 26 23:46:13 EDT 2017

On Monday 26 June 2017 23:19:31 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> On 6/26/2017 7:52 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 26 June 2017 20:09:31 Gregory Law wrote:
> >> The port number should be specified in the -p parameter like this.
> >>
> >> ssh Mystic.dynu.net -p 2310
> >
> > That appears to work, but whats the diff between ssh Mystic.dynu.net
> > -p 2310,
> >
> > and ssh Mystic.dynu.net:2310?  Thats how people get into this
> > machine using http protocol.  Difference in routers and port
> > forwarding I guess.
>
> the http protocol stipulates a URI nomenclature, but ssh was designed
> as a replacement for telnet and rlogin, which do not know about URIs,
> as they were developed in the 1970s and 1980s, prior to Berners-Lee
> and HTTP.
>
> Some newer applications allow :port as a shortcut to a command line
> arg, but ssh does not.
>
> Jim

I never knew that Jim, thanks. What I do know is that for my local home
network, which currently has 6 to 8 machines on it, the ssh -Y name at host
just works.  So does file shareing by the use of a fuse mount usually
referred to as sshfs. As long as I stay within my "user" rights, it just
works.  Not colicky or pickity like cifs or nfs4.  So neither of those
file access things are running here. 2 less attack vectors exposed that
way.

Thanks Jim.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)