[Coco] Installing DW4 on Linux mint

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jun 24 23:34:16 EDT 2017

On Saturday 24 June 2017 22:40:11 George Ramsower wrote:

> Gene, I can't find DWDOS there or anywhere for that matter. Is it
> actually called something else?
>
> On 06/24/2017 08:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 June 2017 20:37:48 George Ramsower wrote:
> >>    DWdos may be a better choice for me. Where do I find it?

If unpacked in /opt/and built with lwasm, the /opt/toolshed directory
should look something like this:
gene at coyote:/opt/toolshed$ ls
ar2    casm  cocofuse  d2u    doc     include  libdecb    librbf
makewav  os9         tests
build  cecb  cocoroms  decb   dwdos   libcecb  libmisc    libsys
mamou    README.txt  tocgen
c3     coco  d2o       disks  hdbdos  libcoco  libnative  libtoolshed
o2u      superdos    u2o

And the dwdos directory should resemble this:
gene at coyote:/opt/toolshed/dwdos$ ls
dw3dos.asm      dw3dos_cc2.trk      dw3dos_dsk_cc2.rom  dw3dos_mb_cc3.rom
dw4dos_cc3.trk      dw4dos_mb_cc3.rom
dw3doscc1.bin   dw3doscc3.bin       dw3dos_dsk_cc3.rom  dw4doscc2.bin
dw4dos_dsk_cc2.rom  Makefile
dw3dos_cc1.trk  dw3dos_cc3.trk      dw3dos_mb_cc1.rom   dw4dos_cc2.trk
dw4dos_dsk_cc3.rom
dw3doscc2.bin   dw3dos_dsk_cc1.rom  dw3dos_mb_cc2.rom   dw4doscc3.bin
dw4dos_mb_cc2.rom

I have never used these as I've used the equivalent stuff from the
nitros9 modules to compose my boot track and os9boot files.

From the lengths of these files, the one with a .trk in the name would be
put on the bootrack by telling os9gen to use that file, see one of the
mb scripts in the nitros9 package for exact syntax.

Now, I've no clue if its current, but this is the script I used the last
time I built myself a fresh copy of everything
copy/paste this into an editor, and save it as "getnitros9".

#!/bin/bash
# since I'm always forgetting who I am
if [ `whoami` != 'george' ]; then
	echo
	echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
	echo "this script needs to be run by user george"
	echo
	echo
	exit 1
fi
cd /opt/george &&
mv lwtools lwtools-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M) &&
hg clone http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/hg/ lwtools &&
cd lwtools &&
make &&
sudo make install &&
cd .. &&
chown -R gene:www-data lwtools # make visible to the web &&
echo &&
echo &&
echo "lwtools has been built, next is toolshed" &&
echo &&
echo &&
mv toolshed toolshed-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M) &&
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/toolshed/code toolshed &&
cd toolshed &&
make -C build/unix &&
sudo make install &&
cd hdbdos &&
make &&
cd ../dwdos
make &&
cd ../.. &&
chown -R george:george toolshed &&
echo &&
echo &&
echo "toolshed has been built and installed, next is nitros9" &&
echo &&
echo &&
mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M) &&
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9 &&
cd nitros9 &&
export NITROS9DIR=$PWD &&
hgpull &&
hg update &&
mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed &&
make dsk &&
make dskcopy &&
cd .. &&
chown -R george:george nitros9 &&
echo &&
echo "nitros9 has been refreshed"
echo "this completes the build of lwtools, toolshed, and nitros9"

this I had moved from /opt to /opt/genewww so I could have it all in one
tree that could be pulled, piece by piece, from my web page.  So do:

sudo mkdir /opt/george

or whatever, I just edited it to /opt/george, do a

sudo chown george:george george

while in the /opt directory to give you rights to work as you in the
subdir george, then put the above script in this subdir, and run it from
a terminal with an

sh ./getnitros9

All the && above is so if it errors out, it will error out where the
error is rather than cover it up with 20 megs of more work because the
script went on to the next line.

You will need to download and install mercurial (hg) in order for that
command to work.  If it Just Works(TM) then you will have a newer
version of what I am looking at.

Good luck!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)