[Coco] Midi engine

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 17 13:32:40 EDT 2017

Bill is right. You can make a MIDI cable through the bit banger to just play to a connected MIDI synth (Ultimuse III supports this, with I believer up to 16 voices), but you can’t record what you are playing on the keyboard with this set up. There were 3rd party MIDI hardware boards that supported recording and playback (with a real serial chip, set up specifically for the serial port speed MIDI uses) with up 16 voices, though. The modern option for playback these days is, as Bill has mentioned, Drivewire, where the Coco sends the data throught the bit banger to the PC modern sound chip - but again, that is playback only.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net

TRS-80 Color Computer Games website
http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/coco_game_list.html