[Coco] MAME

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed Jun 7 12:06:15 EDT 2017

Like many early computing systems the legal issues of the copyrights are
a bit muddy.  The Color Computer's original ROMs were written by
Microsoft, a company known to aggressively protect their interests.  How
the original contract with Radio Shack AKA Tandy would also figure in.
Similarly with Microware's overlay code for the CoCo 3.  With Radio
Shacks repeated corporate bankruptcy their hold on the copyright might
be hard to prove.

The basic issue is: It is a violation of copyright law to distribute
copies of the Color Computer ROMs.  Are you likely to be prosecuted?  So
far it appears to be unlikely, but should one of the interested parties
file suit, you would probably be bankrupted and possibly incarcerated.
Risk verses reward, your call.

Bruce W.