[Coco] MAME

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Tue Jun 6 01:39:36 EDT 2017

Stevie Strowbridge Wrote:
> What I plan to do this week, is record a simple "MAME 101" video on the
> basics of downloading, extracting, placing ROMS in the folder, getting it
> running, and basic tweaking of the program.

That will be a good service to the community Stevie!

Along those lines, we could use a tutorial and/or a cheat sheet w/ all the relevant command line options laid out. HA! I'm not asking for much ... :)

Just an FYI. I have NO qualms at all w/ MAME or people using MAME over VCC.

I use MAME too (and XRoar)

However, from a hobby, spare time, project perspective – I’d rather work on VCC than MAME.  IMO, programming MAME is a huge learning curve + more complex to work w/ than VCC.  I'm already getting my head wrapped around the VCC code.  Other issues are the way MAME breaks things from time to time, and the bureaucracy to get your stuff accepted and added. BUT I’m not here to bash MAME.  I’ve said it before on FB, I’ll say it again here – the emulation for the arcade games Defender and Robotron (my two favorite games ever) are absolutely impeccable. The video and sound are SO spot on, I’d venture to guess that they are practically indistinguishable from the real deal...  if you were to hook up a modern PC to one of those old school RGB monitors in an original cabinet -- I'd bet you could barely tell them apart, if at all. Same thing could be said for the hundreds if not thousands of other arcade games.  It’s an incredible feat actually.

So, I’d like to see VCC updated w/ all the current issues fixed and expanded w/ new features. There are things I want to add to VCC that probably would never be accepted on MAME. But if folks are waiting for me to fix VCC then I highly recommend they learn and use MAME too. It’s going to take me time, on the order of one to two years. So, if I make it halfway by CoCoFEST 2018, I’ll be doing good.

James