[Coco] VCC full screen mode and Windows 10

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 11:00:04 EDT 2017

I've had issues with VCC and switching full screen as well, which I try to
avoid, it does do a hard switch to your computer's resolution and doesn't
gracefully return the OS to it's previous state, and, as mentioned, this
resolution switch screws with how you had icons arranged on your desktop,
etc., and yes, I keep my drivers up to date all the time, I'm leaning
towards this being the program not the driver.  Not meant as a bash, but
more as a highly educated guess/opinion.

As mentioned it can be maximized and re-sized, by turning on that option,
but it doesn't scale the aspect ratio, and it's damn near impossible to
manually make the "perfect square" by dragging it around.

I have learned to live with it either in it's native size of in a distorted
resolution size when I'm just working on typing in my BASIC code.  I don't
see a newer version since 2.01b [Edit] and I recall hearing a few people
talk about some forks they were working on, which is the latest/greatest
version we should be using?

I use VCC primarily for my programming in BASIC series I'm doing for myself
and YouTube, as far as CoCo emulators go, this one is pretty user friendly
to install and hit the ground running with, and my series was designed and
aimed at non-technophiles to be as user friendly as possible.

My arrangement I use to record, has the BASIC manual in PDF and VCC on my
left monitor, and on my right monitor I have my recording/capture software
take these elements and arrange them on screen.

I keep VCC in it's default resolution and aspect ration, but I zoom it in
with my software and make the window much larger, where it's about 3/4 of
my PC screen, and it's a lot easier to read and manage that way.

The ongoing debate and discussion on which emulator is "best" will probably
never be "solved" everyone has their favorite, each one has it's strengths
and weaknesses, and anybody who has a project, such as an emulator has the
right to make them as they see fit.

I tend to bounce between all three at this point.  I use VCC for my BASIC
programming series, I'll use XROAR for a quick and easy way to play a CoCo
1/2 disk based game, and then I use MAME for things that are cartridge
based, or have some issue in XROAR, and for anything CoCo 3 related, I use
my real CoCo 3 which is connected to my PC via an RGB-toS-Video adapter,
and I watch it, play it and record it on my PC via video capture software
which give me a live preview of the CoCo screen.

Simple, right?

I am very grateful for all the emulators we have, no one, and not thing is
perfect, so none of my statements are meant as a "bash" or a "nod" towards
any particular product, I like them all, I use them all, and they're all
great in their own way.

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow
http://ogsteviestrow.com