[Coco] FPGA VS Software Emulators

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Wed Jul 26 15:14:03 EDT 2017

rcrislip wrote:
> I think you are eferring to the "Ultimate Amiga Emulator (UAE)". To work
> on the Intel PCs, it has to emulate the 68xxx processors and ll the co
> processors that made the Amiga what it was. It does it quite well if a
> say so myself, especially after the Intel clocks speeds went above
> 400mz.

It’s possible he is using the UAE software emulation of the 68k, however, I was not refereeing to the UAE emulator itself.

This one here seems like the one I had read about – however, I am not sure this was it, or if there was another thread, different project, or perhaps even by the same guy, same project … I thought I saw the device attached to an actual Amiga. Here I believe the device is attached to a FPGA "FPGAArcade Replay board" ... it's just an experiment.  It’s the only reference to it I can find right now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CommodoreAmiga/permalink/10154359999774157/

It’s a proof of concept --- basically, the concept being if that the CPU is fast enough and the emulation is accurate enough – you can have a software emulation that can be as accurate as a hardware FPGA emulation.  That’s really the point I was trying to convey.

James