[Coco] Malware in wimgtool?

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Fri Jul 21 16:23:56 EDT 2017

Just curious, does anyone know what is the origin/history of this file? Was it open-source? The closest thing I could find is that it IS/WAS a part of MESSUI? But I can’t find it on the MESSUI site.

VirusTotal.com shows 16/60 detection's (16 out of the 60 scanners flag it as a virus).  I know there are false positives quite often, but usually that would be by just one or two scanners.   Does not mean it's not, but 16 seems like a lot for a false positive. Windows Defender on my Windows 8.1 is also flagging it.

James