[Coco] Linville's Tech Segment on Assembly Language vs. Machine Code

Melanie and John Mark Mobley johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 00:33:21 EDT 2017

All,

John Linville did offer for me to debate the issue on the podcast when he
gave his last Tech Segment.

I did not jump at the chance, perhaps I should have.

I think John was right that you do not need to become an expert machine code
programmer in order to learn assembly language.

I recently worked with a Micro-KIM (Keyboard Input Monitor) from Briel
Computers.  Which is a KIM-1 replica/work-a-like.  I was very interested in
how the single-step function worked.  I studied the schematic and the source
code and figured it out, mostly.  I found a website that would convert the
assembly language to machine code and then I typed in the machine code.  I
also found a KIM-1 emulator that runs in a browser.  The KIM-1 also has the
ability to examine the registers.  After a few days I got my fill and I have
not picked it up since.  But I enjoyed it.  It was fun for a time.  It is a
good design.  I know it is not for everyone, but I really like it.

John Mark Mobley