[Coco] 6309

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jul 11 09:49:48 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 11 July 2017 09:07:06 D. Bruce Moore wrote:

> My understanding is that the 6309 runs cooler than the original 6809.
> if so, the life of the Coco is extended!  (But that may be the case
> only for the 512MB RAM upgrade)

It (63$09) is a CMOS chip, and the power draw is a function of the
driving clock frequency. I have the C version rated to run at 4MHz. I
understand there was a D version also that could run faster.
In any event, its power draw is in milliwatts. My 2 meg memory kit is
also fitted with CMOS memory, 2 ea 1Meg. Essentially zero heat.  Running
on an external psu, the hottest chip in my coco3 is the gime.
With the top on it, the temp rise is about 2F 24 hours after laying a
furniture blanket over the whole thing.

> > On Jul 10, 2017, at 8:58 PM, Rietveld Rietveld
> > <rietveldh at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Because they are so cheap I just wondered if they would offer an
> > advantage over the 6809.    Would there me any noticeable difference
> > in speed when running coco 1/2 software?
> >
> > Sent from my BlackBerry Passport Red Edition.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)