[Coco] Linville's ramblings on assembly vs machine code

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 10 23:50:13 EDT 2017

On Monday 10 July 2017 23:04:14 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> On 7/10/2017 7:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 10 July 2017 15:59:37 James Jones wrote:
> >> That's what disassemblers are for, save for programs that do tricks
> >> like modifying themselves.
> >
> > I've seen quite a few disparaging remarks about self-modifying code
> > pass by in this thread. Sloppy coding WILL bite you in the butt, so
> > I got to tell you there is not a thing wrong with it if you have a
> > good grip on what it is you are doing.
>
> I'm a self modifying code fan as well :-)  Maybe we're a minority
> group.

Been there most of my life, Jim.  By the 5th or 6th grade I was the class
geek (before the word was invented) & the girls were afraid it might be
contagious.  By the 9nth, I was trying to teach the physics teacher
about Newtons Laws of motion.  That led to a discussion with the super
and the school board, I said screw you, and got a job fixing these
newfangled things called televisions.  The rest, as has been said by
smarter folks than me, is history.  It has been an "interesting" time,
the last nearly 70 years. I grew up with vacuum tubes, then transistors
and digital logic came along, then the 4004 introduced the computing
age. Or as Arther C. Clark wrote, any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic. I've watched a lot of magic become play
toys for the kids. Unfortunately, only 1% of them will ever have a clue
that it is not magic, but technology doing our bidding if we can
convince it just who is in charge.  And we sadly are losing that battle.

> Next month's Coco Crew Podcast topic, coming up!

Possibly.

I will concede that in a multi-tasking environment, it can be a recipe
for generating bug reports, and quite likely

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)