[Coco] PAL vs NTSC GIME detection?

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 25 14:43:26 EST 2017

On 25/01/2017 9:52 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> Apologies if this has been documented; a quick Google search and
> searching through this mailing list archive turned up no results for me...
>
> Is there a way of programmatically determining whether the GIME in a
> Coco3 is PAL or NTSC? I'm guessing there may be as Popstar Pilot doesn't
> ask for RGB/CMP on a PAL Coco3...
>
> TIA
> Regards,

There is not need to. The palettes are the same for both PAL and CMP on
a PAL CoCo3. The NTSC composite out pin of the GIME chip is disconnected
and not used. PAL has a separate RGB to CMP conversion daughter board
mounted underneath the mainboard.

This is by far the better method rather than having 2 separate palettes
depending on whether you use a RGB or Composite monitor.

Pop*Star Pilot therefore doesn't ask for PAL/CMP palette on a PAL CoCo3.
It does for a NTSC CoCo3.

To check if you are running a PAL or NTSC CoCo3, check the SECB ROM at
$E033 for a value of 8. If it is 8, then I know it's a PAL unit.

Nick