[Coco] 8 slot multi pak

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Jan 19 10:07:34 EST 2017

In fact, now that I remember, I designed a MC68HC11 CPU card which
replaced the 6502 card and it drove the backplane with a single
74HCT245.  The 'HC11 runs at 4 MHz internal clock speed and I think I
used the clock-stretching feature to slow down to 1 MHz on the accesses
to the cards on the bus.  So, to correct the information below, the 6502
cards ran from around 1977 until about 1993.  The 'HC11 cards started
running the systems from that point until today.

The 68HC11 is a processor very similar to the 6809 in many ways and my
experience with the 6809 made it really easy to transition over to the
68HC11.  The only thing you can't easily do with it is write
position-independent code as those types of instructions along with a
user stack are missing.  I so wished and hoped for Motorola to come out
with a MCU with a 6809 core but they never did.  They later came out
with the 'HC12 and 'HC16 but they never became very popular and I never
used them.

Dave