[Coco] 8 slot multi pak

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Jan 18 02:32:28 EST 2017

Yes, that's possible.  I have some old passive backplanes that were used
for an animatronics system that used a 6502 processor at 1 MHz as the
main board and the CPU card with just a single set of buffers would run
8 or 9 other cards on the backplane.  The backplane fit into a 19" rack
and I don't believe there was any kind of termination on the end.
Literally hundreds of these card cages were made and used about 12 hours
a day, 365 days a year and some are still running today (since 1977) and
have had no problems in that regard.  Some expansion cards had 6821s,
some had 6850s, that sort of thing.  The backplane PCB was double
thickness - .125".

Dave