[Coco] Tandy 1000

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Jan 17 06:44:20 EST 2017

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:31:18 -0600
From: Robert Hermanek <rhermanek at centurytel.net>

Yes, floppy emulators exist generally to replace 720K drives in old
things like sewing machines/etc.  I've used one successfully in a PC
just to see if it works.  However:  be aware that the floppy pin-outs
used in the tandy 1000's are not standard -- I don't remember the
details, but I'm quite sure if you try to plug something in using a
normal drive cable there's going to be a little fizzle and a bad smell.

-RobertH
As stated, we aren't talking about the compact Tandy 1000 EX and HX, but they carried voltage for the floppy on the floppy cable, so you may burn something up on the end of the cable, or mess up the power supply in the computer if those lines are grounded... could do both.

I'm not sure if the EX/HX cable is a standard connector though. IIRC it at least has a "bar" in it that matches a slot on the drive so it won't plug into just any drive. Other than that is is standard... I think... Been a long time since even seeing one of those!

Not hard to eliminate those lines though, just cut the ribbon. Then you need an external PS for the floppy. I seem to recall some people hacking it to use a standard second floppy instead of the more costly one from Tandy. Of course you have to add the cost of a PS, but didn't take much, and if you had an older Tandy external drive laying around could use that.  Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548