[Coco] Generic VGA adapter

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 12 13:27:51 EST 2017

On Thursday 12 January 2017 12:52:02 Paulo Garcia wrote:

> I just stumbled across this VGA adapter today:
>
> www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Arcade-Game-RGB-CGA-EGA-YUV-to-VGA-HD-Vide
>o-Converter-Board-HD9800-GBS8200-Hot/32747605607.html
>
> Does anyone here got it? Is it suitable for the CoCo3 or even other
> computers with RGB or component output?
>
> There is a note specifically saying: "please notice this is only for
> arcade game use , not for industrial or old computer device use", but
> who knows, right? :)
>
> THanks

I have one in the midden heap here, used it for about a year before I
tested Roy Justice's first board. Roy's current board has better
resolution, and better output. Basically the GBS8200 has headroom
problems, clipping both highlights and blacks and I couldn't get enough
drive out of it to suit my monitor, which at the time was an old
touchscreen crt model.

Roy's convertor is worth the wait as I think he is always behind. I'm
currently using his adapter with another touchscreen LCD, a P.O.Sale.
15" 4x3 I got from fleabay for $65, but when those were gone, I've not
seen anymore offered. I have not tested the touchscreen other than to
note that a finger slide across the face does make it spit out data. The
touchscreen on this one has no visible touch wear.

I'd be tempted to try it on one of my cnc machines but its resolution is
only 800x600. Linuxcnc does have a touchscreen activated gui.  No clue
if its interface would be compatible. But IMO would not be suitable on a
monitor less than 1024x768. Even that cramps the view. The 1366x768 is
about the minimum, an new AOL, needs hdmi, and thats all the
raspberry-pi 3b puts out. At up to 4k.

> Paulo

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)