[Coco] Trying to build new images

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jan 11 11:12:11 EST 2017

On Wednesday 11 January 2017 10:58:32 Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> On 1/11/17 10:51 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 January 2017 08:16:01 Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> >> OK, next set of questions.
> >>
> >> Is rel a module or just a program?
> >>
> >> Why, you ask?
> >> I saved the file used to build the boot track and ran ident
> >> against it.  rel is listed as not a module and krn gets a bad
> >> header message.
> >>
> >> Looking at the source for rel it appears to have everything in
> >> it to be a module, but I'm no expert (yet!).
> >>
> >> Next, I tried to assemble rel.asm on my system.  It wouldn't
> >> assemble.  Are the sources not in a format recognized by the
> >> NitrOS9 asm command?
> >>
> >> Would the bad header in krn cause it to not execute?
> >>
> >> Anybody want to hazard a guess why these programs appear to be
> >> broken?  Or, are the results from ident bogus?
> >>
> >> Oh yeah, I tried running ident against rel and krn in other disk
> >> images with the same results.
> >>
> >> bill
> >
> > Ident is broken when run against the track 34 contents because that
> > track is contaminated with a 6 byte rsdos header.  And a batch of
> > trailing bytes.
> >
> > To see whats there, use my vfy with the -k option. The -k option
> > turns it into showing the 6 byte preamble that that rsdos needs to
> > identify it as an executable. vfy should then show the 3 modules
> > that are in that track, with good crc's, and the trailing bytes,
> > usually filled with hex 39's up to the irq vectors that bring it up
> > to a full 4608 bytes to fill the track AND out those vectors at the
> > correct locations in ram once rel has done its thing. If you're not
> > familiar with vfy, get it from my web page. Put the vfy file in the
> > archive in your cmds directory and run it with no arguments. It will
> > spit out its own help screen. It has many options, and works on any
> > file you want to change "insitu".
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I think we already determined that you can  not do that on a
> Level 1 systems and that is what I am currently working with.
>
> bill

I don't see why not Bill, it should show you what is there.  And it
should be able, if you give it the -k -s options, will split the track
into its component parts for further study. The thing is, I probably
used some L2 syscalls, so you would have to take the bttemp file to a
level 2 system to run vfy against it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)