[Coco] Trying to build new images

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:06:41 EST 2017

On 1/8/17 1:33 PM, Christopher R. Hawks wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:18:32 -0500
> Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [big snip]
>
>> Typed:
>>        chd nitros9/6809l1/scripts
>>        shellplus mb.dw (mb.dw uses dw.bl)
>>     runs to completion with only one error on the attempt to delete
>>        non-existant temporary bootfile.
>>
>> Creates an image that gets as far as the "Nitros9 Boot" screen.  Then
>> it just stops.   One thing I notice is that it puts a copy of SYSGO in
>> the root directory.  The running image from the zipfile does not have
>> this.  Thus my statement that the running image does not appear to
>> have been built from this script.
>>

> Bill:
>
>     IF the only text on the screen is "Nitros9 Boot" then something is
> wrong with your kernel (krn) or there isn't one on track 34 (from the
> merge command in the script).

Yes, I am aware that the message I get is from Rel and that seems
to be where it stops.

>     The boot screen should show something like this at the top:
> (32 columns and different module names, of course.)
>
> Krel boot krntb0................
> ............ bkrnp2 dd d0 rbf
> rb1773 term w w1 w2 w3 w4 scf
> cowin clock clock2 init i2xoC

Funny you should say that.  The working image from the zipfile
that is my active system doesn't do that.  After the "Nitros9 Boot"
screen clears I get messages about being a development system and then I
get the motd.  Haven't seen the above since the last time I ran
the Radio Shack version of OS9.

>     If the boot process does not complete, the above should end (short)
> with a '*' and a single letter. It would help with diagnosis if you
> could supply these details.

Details are nothing after "Nitros9 Boot".

>     Attached is an explanation of the boot process in detail and more
> info about the error reporting. (With DOS type end-of-lines as I don't
> know what type 'big' computers you use.)

What are you looking for?  I have Z80's, PDP-11's, Vax, UltraSparc,
and, naturally, a collection of PC servers and clients. Oh yeah, and
a MacBook and some Apple ]['s. :-)

I understand the boot process, but that is of little help fixing
this.  Difference between theory and practice.  I will definitely
be reading what you sent, though, as it will likely add to  mu
understanding of the propcess.

Some new info for you and everyone else who is following this.
I ran ident on the running OS9Boot and on the one being generated
by the script.  Not even close.  It is obvious that this script and
bootlist are not what was used to build the system they reside on.
I edited the bootlist file and added all the stuff that was missing
(even the stuff that is irrelevant like floppy drivers) and the
result of this is I now don't get an OS9Boot file at all.  I end out
with a file called TempBoot in the root directory that appears to be
the uninstalled OS9Boot.  My guess is it is now too big. Which still
begs the question, "How did someone make the kernel I am running?"

Don't get me wrong, I am actually having fun again.  And i have no
doubt with all of your help I will figure this out.  And, I can assure
you, when I do I will document this so others can do it without jumping
through all the hoops I am.  :-)

bill