[Coco] Trying to build new images

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:18:32 EST 2017

On 1/7/17 10:35 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me where I might find the bootlists and
>> scripts used to build the drivewire images contained in
>> the zip file?  The scripts and bootlists in the image
>> don't seem to work and I looked at the source repository
>> and it has the same ones.  Surely whoever provided these
>> images has working files or is someone hand building all
>> these images?
>>
>> bill
>>

> Bill,
>
> Tell us exactly what you mean when you say "the scripts and bootlists in
> the image don't seem to work." Exactly, step by step, what did you do
> and what was the result?
> The scripts and lists look correct to me.

OK.
Typed:
       chd nitros9/6809l1/scripts
       shellplus mb.dw (mb.dw uses dw.bl)
    runs to completion with only one error on the attempt to delete
       non-existant temporary bootfile.

Creates an image that gets as far as the "Nitros9 Boot" screen.  Then
it just stops.   One thing I notice is that it puts a copy of SYSGO in
the root directory.  The running image from the zipfile does not have
this.  Thus my statement that the running image does not appear to have
been built from this script.

> The actual disks and contents are made using the makefiles, rules.mak,
> and port.mak files in the NitrOS-9 repository. Lots of use then edit the
> scripts and bootlists to custom fit our systems and then use them to
> create new boot disks.

That's what I want to do, but I need a starting point that I know can
build a working system.

> If you read the script files, you will note the command:
> format %1 "NitrOS-9 Level # Boot Disk" r

Not in mb.dw.  That uses X1 explicitly.

> This is the only place where you might run into problems. The driver
> descriptor in your current boot disk for NitrOS-9 must match the script
> and bootlist you want to use. The size and number of sides for the disk
> indicated must match what you want for a new disk.

None of which matters in the case of the drivewire image.  Also, as
stated, I an trying to build a new system just  like the one I am
running just to get a starting point.

> A typical example is that /D0 is normally for a two sided floppy which
> won't work if you want to create a boot disk for an RGBDOS/HDBDOS .vhd
> or hard disk.

While I will play with floppy images (which have the most options) my
desire is ide and scsi disk systems and if I have floppies at all they
will likely be 3.5" and thus non-standard anyway.

bill