[Coco] building a new disk image

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Jan 6 09:44:33 EST 2017

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> OK, I have a COCO2 working, booting from Drivewire.
> I would like to get systems working from my various hard
> disk systems.  So, I have tried building new systems using
> the scripts and boot lists provided. I assumed the mb.dw
> and dw.bl were the one's used to actually build what I am
> running from but, apparently not.  When I build a new system
> using the script I end out with an image that does not boot
> and whats more, doesn't look anything like the system I am
> starting with.  Am I missing something simple?
>
> bill

Bill,

If Bill Pierce has not already answered your question, you first need to decide
where your various disks will be mounted and where you want NitrOS-9 to reside.
For example, if you a Coco3 with a hard drive, want NitrOS-9 to be on that hard
drive, but want to read Drivewire disks from both Basic and NitrOS-9, you would
need the following:
1)disk ROM = HDBDOS for DW   this permits reading Basic disks on DW from Basic
2)The boot module in the NitrOS-9 kernel must work with your hard drive
3)OS9Boot must contain all the drivers required to permit access to Drivewire

Since there are a very large number of combinations of systems (MESS, VCC, Coco
RGBDOS/HDBDOS drives, CocoSDC, Roger Taylor's uSDPAK are just some) there is no
way to tell you what your optimum setup should be. You must describe in detail
exactly what you want to do.
Don't worry about providing too much information as that can't happen!

Robert