[Coco] Another NitrOS-9 Level 1 question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 09:03:04 EST 2017

William, I haven't used inetd in L1 (or L2 for that matter), so I can't help you there. Aaron Wolfe would be the one to ask. He's a little more knowledgable in that area (he wrote it I think).
I'm not even sure inetd will work with L1. It may have some L2 exclusive system calls in it. From looking at the source, it forks one or two processes (tmode for one), so that's going to cause problems in L1 when memory is tight.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Most of my work is in L2, though I really want to start playing around with L1 and see what I can milk out of it. I haven't really messed with L1 since '87-88 when I started up L2 for the first time. For the most part, I never looked back.

What L1 (and Coco 1 & 2) needs is more memory. There was some interest in the J&R Banker 256k/512k memory expansions a while back. With everyone doing all these hardware projects, this would be an easy project and I'm sure Ciaran could add the expansion to XRoar in emulation as well. With a proper driver, it could be made to work similar to L2's bank switching without the hires graphics. I know theres work being done similar to this on the "Multicomp" board, but I don't know how far they've taken it. The extra memory would mean more processes (like L2) and would solve a lot of L1 memory problems.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com