[Coco] Coco Cassette interface help

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Feb 28 21:12:06 EST 2017

Well, perhaps the Sharp CE-152 tape recorder manufactured in the early
80s was a bit ahead of its time then.  I'm pretty sure it sold for less
than $100.  According to this article
http://www.petervis.com/electronics%20guides/Sharp%20CE-152/Sharp%20CE-152.html
the CE-152 used a NEC uPC1305C chip in it whose datasheet specifically
shows generates erase bias for the head.  If you scroll down the page
you'll see the specifications list with "Automatic erase bias".

Perhaps you are thinking of older tape decks that might have been
produced in the 50s or 60s.  Cassettes debuted in the early 60s but
didn't really become mainstream 'til around 1970 and later.  There
probably are some portable recorders that did not provide erase head
bias but my bet would be that most of them produced by the early 80s and
later had the feature, even the cheaper ones.

Dave