[Coco] $4 USB HOST a chip

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 12:52:56 EST 2017

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 11:50 AM, Salvador Garcia via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Allen, et al.,
> I am curious. If I have a serial device that uses USB and would like it to communicate with the CoCo's bit banger, can I use any ole USB to serial converter?
> For example, having the CoCo talk with an Arduino Uno.

There are existing USB-to-Serial devices for this purpose. The $13 euro part has a Serial Port firmware for it. It is TTL so you add another few bucks for a TTL-to-RS232 level part, and it would meet 5V power.

It should be trivial to get a USB cable that goes from CoCo bitbanger to a PC and looks like a serial port (USB) on the PC side, and is just RS232 on the CoCo side.