[Coco] $4 USB HOST a chip

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 09:13:47 EST 2017

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Didier Derny <didier at aida.org> wrote:
>
> some documentation:
>
> https://www.mpja.com/download/ch376ds1.pdf

Also, here is what got me started on this. A company in the UK sells a ready-to-go module with this chip:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host/usb-host-mini

They have firmware for keyboards, mice, joysticks, bluetooth (for keyboard, PlayStation game pads, etc.). It's $13 euros, so still cheap in US compared to what a "USB Host Shield" cost for an Arduino just a few years ago when I bought one.

The Commodore 64 joystick project used the same chip, but went the other way (the chip has input pins so I could read the joystick DB9 port and then send USB signals to the PC/Mac).

I found references to this chip in 2013, too, so it's been around for years. I had no idea.

		-- A