[Coco] Formatting OS-9 hard drives

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Feb 19 13:14:00 EST 2017

<mailto:davidwladd at gmail.com>> wrote:

> >> What is happening when I say yes to Low Level format, then? It
> >> takes quite some time, like many many minutes, before returning.
> >
> > That may be re-directed to a surface scan, which would take a bit of
> > time.
>
> It only takes 10-20 minutes… When I do a verify, it takes several
> hours, and reports and marks out bad sectors.
>
> I’ve been plying with the RGB-DOS tools. HD-UTILS.BIN will give me
> drive geometry (which looks odd).

Show it to us please.

> FORMAT.BAS and FORMAT+.BAS report a DRIVE ERROR (or #5, or…) when I
> try to use them. Doesn’t look like the old tools like the SyQuest.
>
> 		— A

I've  no experience with the SyQuest, Allen. I did buy an LS-120 drive
and a sixpack of disks way back when, but never had the IDE controller
to run it.

I did have it plugged into my main box once way back when it was a 400
MHz AMD K2, which did have an IDE port on that motherboard, so it might
have 5 minutes total spin time on it. Those are I believe, preformatted
to 512 byte sectors, so the superdrivers sector split trick bits should
be set in the descriptor or it would be a 60 meg disk..

Somebody should make me an offer on it and the disks I can't sensibly
refuse. I think the IDE from Glenside should be able to run it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)