[Coco] Formatting OS-9 hard drives

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Feb 17 19:57:22 EST 2017

In the old days, I thought saying yes to the "physical" format of a hard drive would run through it and actually format each sector. That does not appear to do anything with NitrOS-9 and the KenTon SCSI drivers.

What's the best format tool for wiping out sectors?

I wrote a BASIC09 program that manually does it, and prints out bad sectors. Two of my SyQuest EZ135 disks have some bad sectors on them and I wanted to see if a real format utility had any better luck.

I have two KenTon interfaces. ONe has the socket added for an EEPROM and has my old EEPROM in it. The other one does not have the socket.

Both appear to work, but I did have some issues tonight with the second one stopped recognizing the drive after it locked up when I say Yes to a physical format. Maybe it was a fluke. I swapped back to the other one and it was fine again.

I am selling both of these if someone is in the market. Email me off the list. Ditto for my two SyQuest EZ drives, and five disks for them... three of which showed no bad sectors, but they are old, so who knows what tomorrow will bring. I would not use these for any important storage.

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware

P.S. Since 4/15/2014, I have earned over $2320 in Amazon gift cards! Sign up using my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman (Ask me for the tip/howto doc.)