[Coco] Creating and loading big machine code files into RSDOS

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Feb 13 19:21:04 EST 2017

Glen Hewlett wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m currently using lwtools to assemble my transcoded z80 pacman to the 6809 and I’m getting close to the $E00-$7FFF range and I was wondering what are my options once my source code starts to go over the $8000 point and will start loading over Extended Color Basic and it will then fail loading won’t it?
>
> Is there an easy way that doesn’t require me to make my own disk loader program?  It would be amazing if such a feature was built in to lwasm.
>
> Currently I’m using Basic to load the ROMs and the character and sprite data in blocks of $2000 and moving them to other blocks of memory not needed during execution.  Then it loads the main program but when my code gets too big this is going to be a problem.
>
> If I do have to use a special loading program is there one that already exists that I can use for such a job?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen

Glen,

You will need to do the same thing you are doing for the ROMs, character, and sprite data. Load the
game as $2000 byte blocks and move them into safe memory. You should be able to use the same Basic
program that loads your sprites to load the main program. If you are using LOADM above, you could
try DSKI$ or break up your program into parts that fit $2000 byte blocks so that LOADM will still work.

Robert