[Coco] KenTon RGB-DOS floppy issue

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Feb 12 01:11:03 EST 2017

On Saturday 11 February 2017 23:50:38 Allen Huffman wrote:

> > On Feb 11, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > In that case, RGBDOS would need to know which slot to find the disk
> > controller in. Is slot 4 the one that the manual says the controller
> > must reside in?  Or is there something in RGBDOS that must be
> > configured to tell it which slot to look for the controller in?
>
> The manual says you can have the ROM in the FD controller or the
> KenTon controller, but you have to move the MPI slot to wherever the
> ROM is.
>
> I used it like that for many years. But after many years in storage,
> the MPI, floppy or KenTon could be having issues. NitrOS-9 definitely
> has issues (or so it seems) with the LR/KT SCSI drivers. They tend to
> lock up often on me, while RGB-DOS seems content to format 256 HD
> “drives” with no issues.

Oh oh.  What are the wpc and ofs settings in /dd according to dmode? If
zeroed out, you just formatted the first approximately 86 megs of the HD
as virtual floppies.  By-By anything os9 on that drive below that. If
LSN0 survived, we might be able reverse configure a descriptor. Doing a
dump of the first half of LSN0 might be helpfull.

> 		— A

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)