[Coco] The Coco3FPGA - Bringing the Color Computer 3 into the new Millenium!

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:28:30 EST 2017

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 7:52 PM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> On 9/02/2017 5:35 AM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason no one has created a specific HW platform for the
>> Coco3FPGA?
>
> Seems everyone has forgotten Gary's ill-fated Coco-X Kickstarter campaign that raised just %12 of its goal.

Not forgotten.  I’m not convinced the project has to cost that much though.  How much was the kickstarter for?
Quite a bit as I recall...

> Personally, I believe the Coco community isn't quite at the critical mass required to support such a costly development. You need to consider the size of the entire community, then eliminate all those that either aren't interested in, or can't afford, a new platform - not to mention those that want different or extra features, so decide not to buy in.

Excellent point, and based on experience with the analog board, I think you’d be looking at perhaps 50 people that might
buy in on the initial run.  Where it might go from there would be anyone’s guess, but it’s probably good to keep in mind that
an FPGA implementation of a retro platform probably appeals to a very select audience.  Most would probably prefer real
hardware, or be satisfied with emulators.  Or at least that would be my guess.

> There's also only a handful of people within the Coco community in the position to take on such a project. And they're already busy pursuing their own developments; Gary w/Coco3FPGA and Roger w/Coco-On-A-Chip. We know there are other capable hardware engineers amongst us, but how many FPGA developers?

Absolutely.  I’m sure a few of us could nail down the hardware design (setting aside other projects), but it’s still a pile of work.
And if neither Gary nor Roger adopted it for development…  Well, it would be a wasted effort.

Considering the size of the group, I tend to think using dev boards and designing daughterboards to go with them makes
more sense.  There’s really nothing wrong with this approach after all.