[Coco] The Coco3FPGA - Bringing the Color Computer 3 into the new Millenium!

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Feb 8 08:58:06 EST 2017

On 2/8/2017 6:09 AM, Francis Swygert wrote:
> The only issue with the CoCo FPGA is the relatively high cost. It's $250-300 (with the expansion board), and no case, PS, keyboard, etc. Of course those don't add much to cost. There are a few advantages over a real CoCo3,
Few advantages?  Try 25 MHz and a new 640 x 450 256-color graphics mode
for starters (there are more).  You won't get either of those with a
'real' CoCo 3.  I suppose it comes down to personal preference and
whether you just want to stay stuck with the status quo of 1986.  At
least the CoCo3FPGA gives a high degree of backward compatibility with a
real CoCo 3 while giving the opportunity to explore and use some new
features.

And, by the way, the DE2 is not a 'currently produced' development
board.  It has been discontinued by Terasic although both the DE1 and
the DE2 are readily available on the used market.  I just sold a DE2 to
a gentleman for $120 and I have sold DE1s for $90. Currently, the
implementation on the DE2 is no different than on the DE1 so there would
be no immediate benefit unless you plan on doing some additional
development that would make use of a certain feature that the DE2 has
but the DE1 does not.

Dave