[Coco] Building Ken-Ton/LR-Tech SCSI drivers for NitrOS-9

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Feb 4 13:05:55 EST 2017

On Feb 4, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The LR Tech SCSI interfaces aren't by any chance the owns sold in
> cases that say Owl Controller on them, are they?  I have two of
> them (one with the RTC which probably has a dead battery by now).
> I don't know why I still have them as attempts to sell them back
> when the COCO was still readily available never got any serious
> interest.  I never got them to work.

I don't know if I ever saw one, unless it was a photo in Rainbow. I was surprised to see them grouped together in the driver, so I assume they are the same chipset or hardware.

The KenTon did not support SCSI parity, so it could not be used with the Iomega Zip drive. At the time, I spoke with an Atari ST company and they ran in to similar issues and told me what chip they used to add the parity bit. I had hoped, back then, to put together a mod to allow KenTon to work with Zip drives, but never got it figured out.

There are SCSI to SD adapters now so any old SCSI interface can be solid state.