[Coco] MC-10/CoCo BASIC - why did I code this way?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Dec 29 09:38:02 EST 2017

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 8:18 AM, Johann Klasek <johann+coco at klasek.at> wrote:
>
> In the program of the above example, are there more assignment to the
> NM$() array?

Yes, it was a large text adventure, so I over 100.

I’ve done some thinking on this, and I didn’t know/understand VARPTR back then, and had never seen the Color BASIC Unravelled books, so I did not understand how strings worked yet. I DID know that they could live in a program, or in string memory, and I now believe I thought that when you did a READ A$, it loaded from program space in to string memory, taking up twice the room.

That would explain why I did this.

Which means, if I decide to complete this game, I’ll get rid of all that nonsense and just READ it in ;-)

I know there were some CB commands than MC-10 BASIC was missing, and that made things be done differently, so I need to re-learn that and maybe it can still work on an expanded MC-10.

		— A