[Coco] 512K AND Beyond??? How FAR Beyond???

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Dec 27 15:57:11 EST 2017

Richard, I generally agree with you.  Especially if you start
manipulating hi-res graphics and such, the 6809 will get bogged down
with the shear size of the data.  However, when using a synthesized or
emulated 6809 that runs much faster than 2 MHz those chores may become
easier.

Inspired by the CoCo3FPGA, I am currently working on a 6809 based 7-inch
LCD capacitive touch screen terminal.  The 6809 core runs at 25 MHz and
I'm using a 1 MB memory chip because the display is memory-mapped and it
alone needs 600K to display 1024 x 600 graphics with 256 colors. The
fast 6809 handily deals with all of this while communicating over a
RS422 link at 1Mbps.  Imagine the simple task of clearing the screen to
a solid color.  This requires the manipulation of 100x more data than
than a PMODE 3 or 4 graphics screen!

Here's a link to a very quick little video showing the LCD display with
two different screens.  One is a keyboard and the other is a numeric
keypad.  The screens look like they could be text screens because the
graphics are fairly simple right now but it's a bit-mapped display and
the CPU must draw every pixel.

https://youtu.be/LMg55_vDZWc

Dave