[Coco] 512K AND Beyond??? How FAR Beyond???

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 13:03:22 EST 2017

Jim, Robert mentioned it in his post even though I know he knows better LOL. I think the statement was intended for the 2meg, but the way the post read, it seemed as he was saying the 8 meg was supported by NitrOS9. I stated that more for clarity, not pointing fingers :-)
There really seems to be a lot of assumptions and misinformation regarding the memory upgrades, though it's been explained here many times.
Having a 1 meg board in my Coco3 and regularly using VCC with 2 meg, I see real advantages in more than 512k and even more than 2meg (VCC will do up to 8). Imagine how many game screens, text dialogs, sprites, etc, could be stored in memory and used without pausing for disk loads on every new level or screen change. Aimation could be endless (almost). OS9 games could be HUGE!! (RSDOS too if someone would bother to write the routines) This alone is worth the effort... not to mention things I have already done with data storage and things I have coming up when I get time to get back at it.

It's a shame that the extra memory is only useful in NitrOS9...
Things would need drastic changes in RSDOS for any real usage... first would be hard drives... needed for larger files and less disk swaps. And not hard drives with partitions for the same old 35trk, SSDD format (via RGBDOS/HDBDOS) that has held RSDOS from expanding for 35+ years. Tandy/Microware should have fixed this when the Coco3 and SECB were developed. 35trk SSDD was already obsolete then but they did nothing to change it even though ALL their other machines had moved on. Tandy must have had billions of those 35trk disks in the warehouse they needed to get rid of, so they stuck it to us Coco users. More documented system calls would have been VERY useful.... WAIT... I'm describing OS9... never mind.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com