[Coco] 512K AND Beyond??? How FAR Beyond???

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 08:09:39 EST 2017

I have the Disto 1 meg upgrade and a few people have the 2 meg upgrade. And yes, Paul Barton developed an 8 meg upgrade, which he turned over to "Little John" of "GIMEChip", who was working on 16 and 32 megs before he disappeared.

Both the Mame and VCC Coco3 emulators support the 2-8 meg upgrades.

Current releases of NitrOS9 will access up to 2 meg with no modifications or patches. Vanilla OS9 needs patches but can do it.

Anything beyond 2 meg in NitrOS9 is not possible (at the moment) due to the DAT tables growing too large for system memory, but even that's being worked on. Accessing beyond 2 meg is possible with direct instructions to the GIME, but neither DECB or OS9 know of it.

Jim Brain (Retro Innovations) is actually working on new memory upgrades and we should be hearing something soon.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com