[Coco] ISA 8bit Cards

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Dec 26 01:34:40 EST 2017

There's not a whole lot of difference between the ISA bus and what we
have on the CoCo.  The ISA bus had 20 address lines so a larger range
for addresses.  It also had separate selects for I/O space and memory
space which the CoCo does not.  There are separate signals for READ and
WRITE where the CoCo (6809) combines them in a single signal (R/*W).
But it's not too tough to get an 8-bit ISA card to work on the CoCo bus.

Most of the projects I've ever heard of for the CoCo were using serial
cards, modem cards (essentially the same as a serial card), mouse,
parallel port, hard drive, etc.  A little bit of TTL logic and a fairly
simple PCB layout will get you what you need.  The more difficult thing
might be writing the software (drivers) for the card.

Dave