[Coco] coco in a box as a Christmas display

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Dec 26 01:23:32 EST 2017

So, Gene, I have deduced that CNC is a big hobby for you.  I used to
play around a bit with a Sherline desktop mill converted to CNC but it's
kind of small for some of the work I want to do with it.  I'm looking to
buy a 'DIY' CNC mill in the very near future (maybe yet this year) and
have a few questions for you.

My intended usage is primarily for cutting control panels or instrument
faceplates that would typically be used in audio racks (so maximum of
17" or so in one direction.  The material would either be ABS or
aluminum so fairly soft.  I don't think the aluminum would ever be
thicker than .090".  I've seen a number of CNC mill kits on eBay in the
$1,000 - 2,000 range.  Some of them come from China and others are
shipped from the West Coast and probably are imported from China.  Some
appear to be controlled over USB and others appear to be controlled over
a parallel port.  I'm thinking of getting one that has working
dimensions of approx 600mm x 400mm like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Axis-6040T-CNC-Router-Engraver-USB-Engraving-Drilling-Milling-Machine-3D-Cutter/192358600143

Do you have any advice?  What to avoid?  What features to look for? Do
you know of anyone who has purchased one of these Chinese mills? What
software do you use/recommend?

This could be considered a little off-topic so feel free to respond to
me directly if you think it's better.  Although I could see the
possibility of playing around with a 6809-based computer in the future
for controlling the mill.  Non real-time systems like Windows would not
be my first choice for running a mill.  In fact, I'd probably rather use
DOS!

Dave