[Coco] DYSAN Digital Diagnostic Disk.... (Mexican electronics parts rant)

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Dec 21 07:18:31 EST 2017

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:34:31 +0000 (UTC)
From: Salvador Garcia <salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com>

Now a rant, apologies before hand.

I am in Mexico right now, so the eBay page reflects my current location. Shipping to Mexico is $71.97 USD and the import duty is $31.77 USD. This effectively doubles the cost of this item! (plus a bit more).

I lived in Mexico for 16 years and my biggest peeve was having to pay a fortune to get electronic components. Components such as TTL ICs (74xx) and CMOS. I had to basically abandon my electronics hobby because I could not afford t pay $50 USD to buy, for example, 10 74LS274s or some 555s.

The import duty was, and it looks like it still is, roughly 30% of the item price. I would so much like to retire to Mexico (San Miguel de Allende is looking good for this), but I am just not willing to sacrifice my hobby, which has matured to include newer stuff like Arduinos, R-Pis, and uController in general.
There has to be a source in Mexico that sells electronic parts! Things like Arduinos and the latest micro controllers might still be hard to get, but surely there is a n in country source for discrete components???
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548