[Coco] Playing games from floppies

Al Hartman alhartman6 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 20 13:05:23 EST 2017

Floppies are not that hard to come by. Athana still makes them. You just have to buy in lots of 50 floppies.

http://athana.com/html/diskette.html

-[ Al ]-
On 12/20/2017 11:06:45 AM, Francis Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:
Well, I usually bought games on floppies... or downloaded to a floppy. Sounds like what you want to do is transfer from a cartridge to a floppy? Without Drivewire. Well, there used to be a couple transfer programs. Usually involved taping over the activation line on the cartridge (someone will remember which that is and what it's called, I can't right now!), transferring the cartridge content to tape, then unplug cart and plug in disk controller, and load from tape to disk. The cart had to be offset loaded and sometimes patched to run from disk, depends on the game. Should be a couple articles in old Rainbows covering this. If you have a multi-pak you could do it without transferring to tape first.

Really, if you have access to a PC it would be best to make a Drivewire cable and transfer an existing .DSK image to a real floppy. So much easier! I can understand wanting to run from a real floppy instead of using Drivewire all the time though. But at this stage of floppy life (disks and drives) I think I'd get an electronic floppy substitute (like the SDC). Floppies are hard to come by and will wear out a lot quicker due to age. Frank Swygert
Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
803-604-6548