[Coco] DYSAN Digital Diagnostic Disk..........

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Dec 20 11:00:27 EST 2017

On Wednesday 20 December 2017 10:25:16 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> It looks like that has the reference disk, which is rare. The
> alignment disk itself is in the archives.

And the archive data copy is no good. Those disks are made individually,
each track made on a series of purposely miss-adjusted drives, and to
copy them from a 'normal' drive to a normal drive destroys the errors
except for the loss of amplitude the errors cause on a supposedly well
adjusted drive. Doing the copying from a somewhat maladjusted drive is
even worse.  So a copy is about as usefull as the appendages on the
belly of a boar hog when it comes to diagnosing a maladjusted drive.

Since they can't be accurately copied, thats the reason for the to us,
outrageous price if indeed its a genuine Dyson drive test disk. Thats
several times the cost from Dyson when Dyson had them for sale. I
faintly recall a price of around $25 all those yeares ago.

If you really, really need  one, check with whats left of Dyson and see
if they have any left.  Or pay the ebay price if the seller can certify
it is an original, money back, no argument if not. And even then you
take your chances at such as center hole edge damage. That disk may be
25 years old, and shoved into many many unknown drives, with perhaps
magnetized heads which could do a partial erasure.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)