[Coco] Infocom interpreter for the CoCoVGA's 64-column mode

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:58:33 EST 2017

Hi guys.

This is a demo video of a software project I’ve been working on for the last couple of weeks on and off.

Ever since I first saw the 64-column video mode that Brendan included in the CoCoVGA, I knew I just
had to see Infocom text adventures running on it.  I knew it would be so cool to see, that I just had no
choice but to do it.  :)

Anyway, I started with the D version of the interpreter, and did a full disassembly of the code.  Going
through the code over several days allowed me to learn a lot about just how a Z-MACHINE functions,
and interacts with the user through the interface provided by the host computer.  Very interesting stuff,
including a simple, yet very effective virtual memory system.

It’s been a fun project, and I’m happy to say a successful one as well.  The work I’ve done so far will be
a great starting point for some other projects that keep coming to mind too!

This is running on a real CoCo2 with a CoCoVGA video adapter installed.

Hope you guys like the video!  :)

- Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8le2g8WIsY&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8le2g8WIsY&feature=youtu.be>